Saturday, July 5, 2008

cognitive gymnastics

Sometimes I think my brain would win a gold medal in the Olympics if cognitive gymnastics were a sport.

I'm in a social psychology class where we are learning all about why people act the way they do. It's made me really analyze what i do. I'm just taking it for fun, and its turning out to be as interesting as i had hoped. Plus, i actually do all the reading before class! Can you even believe it? I NEVER read the text book. The funny thing is that i'm proud of myself for this fact, but the reality is that i have to read because we have to turn in a paper every class period based on the chapter reading. oh well, i can still feel good about myself!

on a slightly related note, i had a dream the other night that wasn't anything extra-ordinary but it made me think about my dreams and how unrealistic they usually are.

In my dream my friends and I were walking back towards my car. We were almost there when I realized that someone else was in my car, driving it away. They were stealing my car! Now here is where the cognitive jump comes in. Suddenly we were chasing the bad guys by foot and my first instinct was to get their license plate number. Now logically thinking, they would be driving my car (since they just stole it) and writing down my OWN license plate number wouldn't really help. But i guess i don't dream logically because suddenly they were in a different car, although we were still chasing them for stealing my car. Makes sense, right? I believe somewhere in their they shot at us and they eventually got away. I'm not sure whatever happened to my car in the dream. It just morphed I guess.

Although i rarely remember my dreams, i think they are more often than not cognitively incoherent like that. Interesting... very very interesting.

As a concluding note, I think one of my greatest fears is having a psychotic break one day. That would be so sad.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

dreams are weird like that. Mine hardly ever make any sense. And I think maybe yours are so crazy because in real life you're so rational, and your brain needs a break so it goes crazy while you sleep. Just a theory though :)

Jess Gonzales said...

do i decided that you need to analyze my dreams. that would be very interesting! they would make for interesting stuff i'll tell you!