Saturday, May 24, 2008

A wedding a day in may

"a wedding a day in may" That may sound to you like the title of some new series on TLC or HGTV or something. but to me it just sounds like my life. Okay, i haven't been to a wedding everyday this month, but i HAVE been to quite a few. Between my friends and eric's friends we've been to quite a few receptions lately. Two just today in fact and one every previous weekend. Its interesting to see how different they all are. If i was smart, i would be making notes (of the none-mental variety so i could actually remember them) of all the things i like from each one. It would make it a lot easier for... ten years from now... when i get married. simple things like; dancing, music, food, table clothes, cake, cutting the cake, formal vs relaxed, etc etc. Unfortunately i have not and thus i will be stuck planning from a blank slate should the need ever arise.

Speaking of weddings... i leave in 10 days to go to Oregon for brittany's wedding! I never thought june would get here (although i'm sure brittany's wait has felt much longer). It will be nice to be at home for some time. catch up with the parentals and my lil' bro, etc. also it will be the start of a 2 week "vacation" from work. I won't come back to utah until the next monday morning. And then, I'm not sure how this is going to work yet, but on that Tuesday i am volunteering as a mentor for the Utah Youth Leadership Summit. I'm so excited for that! I decided that, among other things, one thing thats been missing in my life lately is service/volunteering. Last fall i volunteered at the state hospital and it added so much to my quality of life. When winter semester got busy i just stopped and never found anything to replace it. So hopefully that will help me find balance again. So yeah, that will be at the University of Utah and will last 3 days. I'll finally get back to provo (and work) on friday. I'll probably have SOO much stuff to catch up on at work...i'm already dreading it.

After i get back, i'll have a week in utah and then i'm planning on going to Vegas for the weekend. (those details are still to be ironed out... and i'm kinda worried because i was planning on driving, but i don't know if my car will make it). Brittany is having her vegas reception on the 20th and i really want to be there for that. Then i come back and start Summer classes on monday. I have yet to talk to my bosses about my work load for the summer term, but its very possible that i'll be working 40 hours in the library on top of going to school full time. yikes. I'll do a month and a half of that fun schedule until summers over. OH.... THEN IT GETS GOOD! next fall i'll start my internship. I'm not sure where its going to be yet, but i'm SOOO excited. I tried to get the one at the hospital but i hear that one is usually only for MSW internships, so we'll see. I'll also be back in classes learning interesting things and thinking deep thoughts. The internship will consume the next 2 semesters until i graduate! Thats right ladies and gentlemen, in less than i year i will be graduated with a real degree and then.. well...then i have to grow up and live in the real world. (shudders) man thats a scary thought. But i just got SO excited for the future and all the fun i will be having in the next 10 months. There are some other things that i would like to have happen, but for now I've covered the big/important things. Oh, and i'll turn 21! that is definitely an important event.

Alright friends, with all the traveling i will be doing and all the rest of the free time i will have this next month i want suggestions for books i should read. good books. books that will make me think but not cause me great difficulties reading them. books that will open my eyes without totally corrupting my innocence. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for (maybe a good church book or real-life novel) All i know is that my brain needs the stimulation and i miss learning and thinking and wondering about life. so if you have any suggestions, send them my way!

much loves to you all!!

p.s. i know i haven't posted many pictures lately, and it may be boring, but hopefully you can forgive me. I'll think of something interesting to post about soon and base it off a picture.


6 comments:

Sarah said...

sounds like you're one busy girl! fun stuff, though, right? :) good luck with all that. say hi to your fam for me!

alison said...

Holy cow, kirsten, you've got quite the course of adventures coming up!! Remember how you introduced Orson Scott Card to me? You should read Ender's Game. Jessie even blogged about it. I'm reading a book called "My Name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok and so far it's good, but I haven't finished it yet, so it could take a turn for the bad. Who knows. You should really ask Jessie, she has a ton of books I'm sure she could let you borrow. OH, a good book if you like thinking is "Till We Have faces" by C.S. Lewis. YEAH read that book, please, please? It's sooo good, and Jessie just said that she was going to recommend it to you as well... Okay. Bye. Now.

Jessie said...

Yeah, basically Alison just stole all the books from my summer reading list and recommended them to you. Jk, I love ya Al (if you're reading this). To add a few more to her list though, I would recommend any Jane Austen novel. Well I've only actually read 3 of them (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Persuasion), but they're really good. If you want a really deep thinking book, you should read The Four Loves by CS Lewis. It's one of my favorite books ever! And if you're really ambitious, give Les Miserables a shot. It's 1500 pgs long, so it will take you awhile but it's definitely worth it. I'm almost done with it, and it's for sure on my top 3 list. Well now, I think this is the longest comment I have ever left. Sorry! I hope you have fun on all your adventures!!

Eric said...

My favorite book is My name is Asher Lev, there is also a sequel to that book which is pretty good, so that might be a good one for you.

Asenath said...

First off--I know what you mean about weddings. I think I've had like 6 or 7 friends get engaged in the past month too. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm NOT an old maid and it's ok that I'm not tying the knot.

I've heard nothing but good things about My Name is Asher Lev, but I haven't read it yet.

Books I recommend:
Peter Pan
The Picture of Dorian Gray
My Sister's Keeper
Return From Tomorrow
The Road Less Traveled
People of the Lie (more of a heavy read, but it will change your life.)
and any and all of my mom's books :)

Jess Gonzales said...

ok so i see that you have enough books to keep you busy for a long time... but here is another one that i happened to scrounge up. How to win friends and influence people. It is actually really good. check it out if you want to. and good luck with everything you have busy girl! You were always ahead of the rest of us... graduating in a year!!! Don't move away or I will beat you up!