Sunday, June 15, 2008

do you need a personal invitation?

Growing up my mom would usually call us for dinner "kids, dinners ready" and then wait and wait and wait for all of us to show up. Since there are only three of us, it shouldn't have taken terribly long (especially since we all like food) but some nights we were slower than slow. It was at that point that she would say "Kirsten (or david or tyler) do you need a personal invitation to dinner?" And then we would grudgingly leave whatever we were doing that was so important and join the rest of the fam.
I haven't thought about this exchange in years! but today at church we were discussing different ways in which we can help personalize our church to individual members. One of the members of the bishopric said something that i thought was really wise. He said that often times we make lots of announcements to the ward or relief society and thats great, but sometimes there are people who need a personal invitation. Its so true! I've realized lately that i've fallen into that crowd and i've shyed away from participating is some things simply because i never got a personal invitation (or two or three). I don't like that I'm needy like that, but i am. (at least for the time being) and this attitude transfers over to other aspects of my life as well. I'm so passive at times that i don't want to impose on anyone unless i am CERTAIN that they want me to.

Just an interesting observation i made at church today.

but hey, guess what?! i will blog more soon! hopefully today! be excited!

xoxo

5 comments:

Elise said...

oh I'm so excited. so is Joel. He just doesn't know it.

Sarah said...

sometimes i'm like that too - needing an invitation. i've realized that with others in our ward, too. everyone likes to feel loved, and special for themselves - not just as part of the crowd. :)

Jess Gonzales said...

yay!! i was starving but now not so much anymore! but i really liked that picture, one day my house might look cool like that. but i like that simple things at church give us eyeopening experiences. i like church!

Asenath said...

good thoughts. def something i'll remember in the future. :)

Jessie said...

so I read this a few days ago and didn't have time to comment, but I've been thinking about it ever since. It's such a good insight.