Thursday, June 5, 2008

how to please the computer gods

So, i work a lot with computers and i've become pretty good at fixing them. And by "good at fixing them" i mean.... i've learned that for most computers in the library a simple reboot will cure most problems. Unfortunately the computer at my home isn't quite as nice. and by "quite as nice" i mean.... it is from the stone age and works slower than slow. My parents, bless their hearts, aren't really in to the whole "Technology-age" and so it doesn't really bother them. My mom spends her day at work on a computer and apparently gets her fix that way. My father is slowly learning but lets just say that with a slow computer his learning speed is also very very slow. That being said, i guess it shouldn't really have surprised me to learn that the computer wasn't connecting to the internet and had become more of a decoration than a useful tool. Upon further inquiry i learned that no one knew exactly what was wrong with it AND no one seemed to care. Now, the sad commentary on my life is that i was going crazy without it. I didn't know what to do in my free time and felt disconnected from my "real life" you know, the life that lives inside the computer. I couldn't live without it....something had to be done! I decided to try my hand at fixing the computer. I played around with it for a little while but to no avail. Finally i decided... what if i just reboot it. This is when the fun began.

While i was waiting for it to reboot i resorted to wasting time on my brothers laptop. And although his laptop couldn't connect to the internet, it did have the classic solitaire games to entertain me. As the desktop was rebooting it decided it needed to run some sort of diagnostic test.... a "simple" test that took about half an hour to complete. It was during this time that i convinced myself that my ability to succeed at the solitaire games was directly correlated to the speed and success at which the computer would function. And so i started... i beat a game of normal solitaire, and then a game of spider solitaire and then finally a game of free cell. Now, i kid you not. The exact moment i finished my game of free cell i looked up and saw, much to my astonishment, the desktop computer with a connected internet page! It had just finished loading and was ready for me! Of course, it still runs slower than slow but at least i got it connected. So, let the lesson be learned that in order to please the computer gods you just have to show them you are smart enough to beat their games. it works. for reals. (either that or God was just blessing me with games to occupy my time and attention while i had to wait for the computer... either, or.)

unfortunately all of that didn't teach me much patience .... for as i soon became frustrated with trying to do anything that involved waiting for pages to load. oh well.. you can't win every battle.

Its now after midnight portland time which makes it way past my bedtime in utah.
time. for. bed.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Story of my life! The internet connection here is dial-up and so it is a) beastly slow and b) connected to the phone lines so it gives me a guilt complex when I'm online for too long. Luckily Joel's dad has ordered DSL and it should be here in 4 or so days. He planned it so we would be here to help him set it up. Well, it's more like he needs my help--Joel's not really an instruction-following man. Best of luck!

Sarah said...

good job with the computer. we bought my parents a wireless router, just so we could use our laptops while we're there. crazy how plugged in you get used to being.

Amy said...

I knew the random things we learn at work would eventually come in handy. Like the whole restart the computer whenever there is a problem. It is my favorite solution. Good work captain.

Jess Gonzales said...

B-) that's me smiling! Notice it is the cool one! hehe I'm glad that you have posted the past two days, I enjoy reading new things! Also, I enjoy that our blog's link is now on your page! Hooray!